Monday, April 15, 2013

Kiddie Kabobs

I love kabobs. They are a fun and easy snack for lunch and picnics. My only problem is with the skewers. They're sharp. lets face it, even with supervision it only takes a toddler one millisecond to do the unthinkable. So arming them with a sharp stick seems to be a very bad idea.

today I wanted to introduce my 3 year old daughter to the wonderful world of kabobs. I couldn't find the skewers I had just bought. it was fine though. While searching for them I started realizing that I wasn't really comfortable with her having access to small wooden weapons, especially with her baby brother around. I searched in my kitchen drawers and found a fun and safe alternative......wait for it.....straws!!!! I finally had a use for the huge package of colorful straws I bought 2 years ago. So here is how to make kiddie safe kabobs.....

What you need: straws, scissors, and a chopstick (or a kabob skewer).



Step 1:
cut the straw to desired length. cut one end at an angle to help it go through the food. I suggest softer foods like cheese, cubed cooked chicken and avocados.


 Step 2:
start making your kabob. Any food that the straw wont punch through, use a chopstick or actual kabob skewer to puncture holes through the food, then place them onto your straw skewer.
If the straw still has a hard time puncturing through the food, insert a chopstick in the actual straw when adding your food. This helps make it strong and prevents the straw from bending. remove chopstick before serving. Cut the endof the straw when you are done to remove the sharp edge.



Step 3:
Serve up your colorful creation to your kiddos and feel good knowing that you just gave them a safe and healthy kabob. You go mom!





No comments:

Post a Comment